Saturday 12 November 2011

Looks like another rain shower is on the way

So it looks like squeezing in another surf lesson before I head back to New York is a bust judging by the dark clouds gathering over Santa Monica beach as I walked back to the hotel around 5pm this evening. Actually this photo makes the sky look much brighter than it really is. Those clouds could only be described as 'foreboding' and there were very few surfers out today on the numerous occasions I walked alongside the beach. I just can't get enough of that salty air regardless of how overcast it is.


Despite yesterday's battering I was really hoping to get out again and get some more practice in before I can pick up my lessons again in New York in the spring, but it looks like it's not meant to be. Ironically I saw on Facebook that Rockaway Surf School in New York has a group lesson scheduled for tomorrow as the temperature is supposed to reach a high of 62F...in NY, in mid November!!! Who'd have thought it? I can't imagine there'll be many more lessons on the calendar in New York in 2011, but Megan did email me about an offer she received through Gilt Group to try a new surf inspired workout through SurfSet Fitness using their Ripsurfer X machine. This short video gives you a taste of the workout.

SurfSET Fitness: RipSurferX from SurfSET Fitness on Vimeo.


Very intriguing albeit a bit gimmicky!!! I'm not sure how much it will help my surfing ability given the biggest obstacle to my surf career is gaining a better understanding of the ocean, but it looks like fun, so Megan and I have signed up for one of the discounted workouts they are offering in New York in November and December.

3 comments:

Amel said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that photos of yours!!!

It's also strange that now it's mid Nov and we haven't had snow at all!!! My coworker wrote in FB two weeks ago that in her 20 years of her life, this is the first time she had a birthday without snow. Strangeeeee to have winter without snow. I hope it comes sometime...we shall see.

Anyhow, the surf machine looks cool. I myself am not a good swimmer, so I'm scared of swimming anywhere where I can't stand up with my head above the water - and that's hard 'coz I'm only 145 cm ha ha ha ha...kiddies pool it is!!!!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Amel,

I love this photo too. I just snapped it on my Blackberry as I was walking back to the hotel and it came out nicely.

Fingers crossed on the snow for you. It's oddly sunny in New York too, although I am not complaining as I am sure February will be brutal.

Amel said...

THE SNOW came today...actually last night...so THANKS for your crossed fingers! :-D