Saturday 26 July 2014

Jellyfish Alert

I'm at home drinking wine this fine Saturday evening, feeling a little blue after having brunch with a friend that I haven't seen in about 8months.  

She turned up in a figure hugging cocktail dress and about 20lbs lighter than the last time I'd seen her - super skinny with tiny twig arms, since she wasn't what you'd call even slightly overweight before - and said to me....

"Oh you look great, have you put on weight?  It really suits you."

Ouch!!

What the fuck!! Who says that to someone?  

For the record I have NOT put on weight!!  

I was reminded of the scene in Bridget Jones where she says of someone "Talking to her is like swimming in a sea and being stung repeatedly by an enormous jellyfish."

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.  I think it will be another 8months before we brunch again!!

2 comments:

Amel said...

Ouchie!!! I had a similar experience in FB when I put up a new profile photo and someone said, "You look chubby."

Gee, thanks.

I don't understand why people say things about other people's weights (unless they're really sure that the other people will feel happy to hear it).

But anyway...HOOORRAAAYYY!!! You start writing again! I've missed youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!! :-D

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Amel, sorry to hear you had a similar experience. I choose to think that my 'friend' is insecure, but to be honest i am not sure I''ll hang out with her again.