Tuesday 31 May 2011

Another one bites the dust

On Friday the department received an email from our fearless leader regarding our need to attend the monthly team meeting because the head of division would be in attendance.

Uh-oh, not that I am overly suspicious or anything, but an unexpected appearance by our divisional head who never shows up to these things? That could only spell trouble right?

Speculation was rife among the few of us that were in the office for the half day Friday prior to the Holiday weekend, but once I was out of the office I didn't give it a moment's thought, however...

...I was right to be suspicious, our head of department - my immediate manager - resigned to take a position at another advertising agency. This is the 13th resignation the division has seen since February and the 6th from our department alone.

"I wasn't looking for something new, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse," claimed the department head beaming - no doubt at the thought at all the extra cash he'll be earning. I couldn't tell you how often I've heard the "I wasn't looking, but..." comment this year. Actually I take that back, I can tell you exactly how many people went looking for a new job and how many had an opportunity fall in there lap. It seems the job market for advertising and marketing personnel is really picking up.

Oh well, it is what it is and to be honest he was a very hands off manager, so I don't see much of a change in the day to day running of my immediate team, however myself and the other direct reports will have to step it up until a replacement can be found. Ahhh management, isn't it FUN!!

I'm going on vacation on Friday, it can't come soon enough!!

3 comments:

Kitty said...

geez. Was that person overworked?
I have to wonder if people have tired of the overwork.

Hope you are going somewhere relaxing, Fish. None of that mountain climbing stuff ;-)

Amel said...

Changes, changes, changes, eh? We're still looking for a replacement for an area manager. Have been getting help from different area managers for the past few months and it's crazy 'coz every one has different styles and I wish they'd give us a permanent one sooner than later!

Anyhow, I had a forced week leave last week and it was FUN to be able to travel to southern Finland with my MIL. :-D

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Kitty,

I think they just left for more money. He's never stayed in a job for longer than 2years and didn't work especially long hours so I really think money was the motivator in this case.

Hi Amel,
Yes tons of changes and it still continues. Good luck in getting a new area manager.