Wednesday 5 November 2008

Whoo Hoo!!!

Wow!! Obama won!! That's such amazingly fantastic news I was hoping he would, but I didn't even dare think about it actually happening in case I jinxed his chances - yep, my thoughts are THAT powerful. I remember all too clearly how certain we New Yorkers were, back in 2004, that Bush would not get re-elected and how deflated we felt when the unthinkable happened, but that's behind us now.

Unfortunately sleep is still eluding me so I saw much of the election coverage. Last night I tried Deb's suggestion of wine since I hadn't been able to fall asleep before 1am these past few days.

"If you drink enough wine you'll be out like a light" she informed me knowledgeably.

"Although the downside is I'll have to deal with a hangover on Wednesday morning"

"Yes but it will be worth it because your body clock will have adjusted"


Since work is on the lighter side just now I decided to risk the headache and had a couple of, admittedly large, glasses of the Gavi white languishing in the corner of my fridge and was thrilled to find myself nodding off toMSNBC's election coverage - gotta love that Rachel Maddow - before 9pm. Marvellous. That Deb, she's a genius!!

I woke up feeling refreshed and well rested. I knew it was still on the early side as my alarm - set for 6.30am - didn't wake me, however I figured I could deal with it being 5am, or even 4am, since that would meant least 7 lovely hours of sleep. I turned on the lamp, sat up and squinted at my clock.

1am!!!

One.Chuffing. AM!!!!

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!

I couldn't believe it. Ugh. Not in the least bit sleepy I gave in and went to see who'd won the Presidential race, handwashed 4 jumpers and scrubbed the bathroom. I tried to sleep again around 4am, but to no avail. I gave up at 5:50am and got ready for work.

It's going to be a loooonnnnnnnnggggggg day!!

At least my apartment is benefitting from my insomnia.

10 comments:

Agnes Mildew said...

Good to see you back, Fish! I am a great advocate of your friend's insomnia cure. Never fails me! But yes, the hangover next day isn't always worth it!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Thanks Annie. I wish it hadn't failed me, I'm exhausted!!

Amel said...

OH dear...sorry to hear about that! My friend said that she found online some info about jet lag. She says that it depends on how much the time difference is between the two cities or countries...since Finland is 5 hours ahead of Indo...my jet lag would be 5 days.

And it was correct for my case...dunno about others, though!!!

Unknown said...

My night was much the same, excitement and then brain racing!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Amel, well HK is 12hours ahead of the US so I hope this is not going to last 12days. I was a basketcase yesterday and had to leave work to sleep as I was non-functional. I feel much better today.

Hi Sarah, it's so exciting isn't it. I'd hardly dared hope he could win, but I am so glad he did.

Amel said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better today!!! I also hope it won't last 12 days he he he...

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Thanks Amel :-)

Anonymous said...

You are one productive chick when you have insomnia!! Cleaning the bathroom in the middle of the night? Wow!

When I can't sleep, I read or surf the web... nothing constructive, I'm afraid.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Spandrel, I often read too, but on this occasion I decided to wear myself out doing something physical. It kind of worked and I had a lovely clean apartment to boot :-)

Kitty said...

lol. what a clean apartment and wardrobe you have!
It's funny to think how much your body clock can change in such a relatively short time.

I too am so glad and surprised that he won.
THANK GOODNESS!!!