Tuesday 5 February 2008

Disgruntled of Manhattan

So far I’m not so impressed with 2008:

* I’ve been dumped!!

* 60 people were laid off in early January, including some very good friends of mine.

* My boss resigned, as did 2 people I also really like working with (is it me?)

...And now, while perusing the
Eater blog today, I’ve learned that one of my favourite places in New York, Palacinka, closed its doors on Sunday due to yet another greedy bloody New York landlord hiking up the rent.

I realise there are people in the world with real problems, but I’m thoroughly peeved.

First DT:UT and now Palacinka.

Harumph!!

I loved Palacinka. I didn’t quite make my mark on Palacinka in the same way I literally did with DT:UT – it was the first time I’d had S’mores and I wasn’t very adept at it and while talking and gesturing I managed to fling a flaming marshmallow across the room where it landed on a table and scorched it. Fortunately there weren't many witnesses – but I did very much enjoy hanging out there with friends and enjoying a café con leche and a delicious mushroom, mozzarella, potato and pesto crepe.

Sniffle!!

I’m so not impressed with the way things are heading in New York. If
Barrio Chino turns out to be next I may seriously consider making the most of my European passport and my French A level and skedaddle off to Paris!!


RIP Palacinka :-(

Photo courtesy of NY Magazine

13 comments:

Kitty said...

yknow what, sweetie? It can only get better.

One of my favorite restaurants, a Malaysian place called Eastanah in Soho, closed at the end of last year. The rent went from $3000/month twelve years ago to $5000/month, to $8000/month to a whopping $15,000/month. So the owner told me.

Landlords suck. I'm sure there's a landlord convention in the netherworld.

On the other hand, I'm sure things will get better for 2008. It's only February!!! It has to get better!!!

Sid said...

Wish I could think up a sentiment that would make you all optimistic about 2008. Have never eaten smores before.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Kitty, you're right. Things can only improve. They'd bloody better :-) I'm usually an optimistic sort but long hours at work are sapping my enthusiasm.

Sorry to hear one of your fave places closed too.

Hi Sid, I appreciate the thought. S'mores are delicious, toasted marshmallow, chocolate and a graham cracker. You have to assemble them yourself. We don't have them in England either, but Americans seem to grow up eating them.

Amel said...

Sorry to hear that...I also felt sorry when one of my fave hangout places in Bandung was closed. We had many memories there (me and my closest friends) he he he...

Pariissss, eh? Not bad for a choice. :-))))

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Amel, I love Paris. My intention when I moved to NYC was to work here for 2years and then see if I could move to Paris, but as I am sure you know, moving to a new country and making new friends is hard enough without throwing in the complexity of having to speak another language and I do love New York, but I have days where it beats me down and I am tired of all the cute small spots closing only to be replaced by a souless Dunkin Donuts or some such. I'm not embracing change at the moment ;-)

Trish said...

I am bereft over the closing of Palacinka.I *adored* it so much. If I could recreate that interior (and food) in my kitchen, I would. Sigh.

Is this a ripple effect from the Moondance closure and changes down near Canal? Dollar signs in the eyes of developers and their neighbors.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Trish, welcome to my blog, thanks for stopping by!! I loved the look of Palacinka too, it was such a great place. Did you ever try Bar Bossa, their sister restaurant at 232 Elizabeth bw Houston & Prince? I wasn't aware of it until they mentioned it on Eater, but I'm going to stop by and see if it has the same charm.

Flowers said...

'change is the only constant'

don't you just hate the old stand-by phrases that fill air but change nothing?

i'm sorry for your losses, fish. all we can hope is that your emotional balance receives some credits in february.

sending you positive vibes!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Thanks Flowers, I'm overtired and working too hard so I'm probably just in a cranky mood, but I appreciate the well wishes!! :-)

Trish said...

Bar Bossa is news to me too - I'll check it out on my next trek to Whole Foods.
I just ran an errand and detoured slightly to Palacinka... the stools are gone and just a few pieces of furniture left. That whole intersection is changing... so goes NYC.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Trish, I think it would make me to see what's left of a place I've been so fond of these past 7 or so years. Fingers crossed Bar Bossa's a good 'un.

Amel said...

Yeah, moving to a new country where you don't speak the language definitely needs more than just bravado, since you need to learn the language, as well.

I've never been to Paris but I'd love to one day. ;-D

Well, most of the time we need to mourn before we move on and embrace change, don't we? *wink*

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Amel, you're right, we do need time to mourn and accept change before we move on :-)