Monday 14 May 2007

Anthropologie tour

Kimberly emailed me today, 20weeks pregnant and bemoaning her new 'muffin top' and how nothing fits her, even though she is still wearing her size 10 jeans - British size 10 that is, American size 4. Skinny wench!! At least there's a baby inside her muffin top, I have no such excuse, unless I am having an odd elephantine 20month long pregnancy, since it's been 8months since I've had any rampant totty, so even though I am feeling on the portly side I think I would have been bigger if I were carrying the child of Gobshite.

Hmmmm, first time I have actually calculated how long it's been, I always find it strange when people know exactly how much time has passed since they last had a roll in the hay. A bit pessimistic. It's not as if the last time I had sex I was thinking 'this is probably going to be the last time for a few months, I'd better make the most of it,' but so many of my friends seem to know the timing down to the week, their very own key performance indicator.

That's got me thinking now, maybe I'll pop over to Kyotofu this evening and grab Michael...except....ohhh....dammit...they're closed on Mondays. Foiled!!!

Clearly I am mad for it at the moment as I was constantly checking out the boys about town while on a mission to track down a white top I'd seen online in Anthropologie on Sunday. Its very cute, check it out...

http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=16766&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=1793&iMainCat=8

...although I can't say I am overly thrilled that it is labelled 'Nanna's blouse.' It puts me in mind of something an 80year old woman would wear and not a hip young thing such as myself (ahem), but I have high hopes it will go perfectly with a pair of dark olive green Theory trousers I bought last year at the sample sale, but rarely wear since the colour's a bit on the drab side. Trousers I couldn't actually find for the life of me this weekend when I wanted them to take shopping for the trying on of various tops. I thought I was going senile. I must have looked for them 5 or 6 times and even went so far as to pull the suitcases down from the top of the wardrobe in the spare room where I store things I rarely wear, but who knows when I'll decide that the pale pink skirt I bought almost a decade ago, when I was in Rome with Kimberly and Linda, now suits me. Unfortunately the American trousers were not to be found nestling next to the European skirts and I was beginning to think I might have given them when I finally found them sharing a hanger, hidden beneath another pair of trousers that are too heavy to wear now that we are seeing warmer weather.

I walked miles in search of the blouse. First I trotted 30-some blocks to the Anthropologie at Rockefeller Center, no joy, so then I braved the masses of tourists walking 4 abreast on 5th Avenue and walked down to the store on 16th and 5th in the Flatiron District. Still no luck, I finally ended up in walking down to the one in SoHo after detouring to the West Village to pick up a couple of cans of Heinz tomato soup and a Walnut Whip at Myers of Keswick, then along Spring St and down to Broome where I hoped to catch a glimpse of hot NY celeb chef and all round be-tatooed cutie Sam Mason (http://www.frenchculinary.com/images/Sam-Mason.jpg) as I passed his soon to be opened 'dessert forward' - just what I don't need, more dessert - restaurant at number 525, before ending up at the Anthropologie store on West Broadway.

Once inside I was taunted by the distant sighting of a sales assistant wearing the aforementioned Nanna Blouse, although my attempts to chase her down and ask her where I could locate it in the store where thwarted as the skinny minx disappeared behind a sales rack never to be seen again.

I love Anthropologie, but it's one of the most MADDENING stores when you're actually looking for something specific. When you first go in you think it has such a charming cutesy layout, all quirky birdcages, sofas, country style tables with low shelves upon which they have various tops folded. It's fine if you're browsing and not looking for something specific. It all feels very European and alluring, until you realise that you CAN'T CHUFFING FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!! Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!

I ended up taking the subway home and ordering it online - amazingly they had my size, they rarely do. It cost an extra $10 in postage and packing. Fingers crossed it fits and suits me after all the effort or I shall be very disgruntled.

No comments: