Monday 7 March 2011

Why are men in Idaho winking at me?

On Match.com that is. I knew Idaho is west, but I wasn't entirely sure how west. Google Maps informs me that it's a 2,255-mile drive from my apartment in New York to Driggs, Idaho.

Idaho! Seriously???

About an hour later I receive an email from Michael....

...who lives in Greensboro, North Carolina. Okay, so an improvement distance wise on Idaho at a mere 560 miles from New York, but what the...

Must check my profile and see if I inadvertently indicated that prospective suitors must live no closer than 500-miles from New York City.

So yes I am on Match.com now, and Chemistry and eHarmony and OKCupid. I'm covering all the bases, although I'm decidedly unimpressed by the latter, but I guess you get what you pay for.

So the next match man that emailed me via match was 7-ft 9!! SEVEN FEET NINE!!! I'm 5-ft 1. The height difference is practically another person, a child maybe, but a person all the same.

Ugh online dating!!! Pht!! Honestly I am not thrilled with it, but I am trying to stick with it, but my biggest problem is that I find myself so full of regret about not being more forthcoming with my Creative Crush back in the days when he was paying me all that attention, but it is what it is, I must move forward and if Emma can go on a date not two weeks after her relationship of 5-years ended, then I can definitely prize my arse off the sofa and meet a guy for coffee, so that's what I am doing on Sunday, I am meeting an actor-slash-stunt-man for a coffee.

"Stunt man!!!" exclaimed my friend Nigel when we had brunch at Broken English in Brooklyn this past Sunday - delicious baked eggs with wild mushrooms and polenta by the way - "I want to go on a date with him!!"

"I think he prefers girls Nigel, but I promise if it works out I will introduce you."

Boys eh!! Eye-roll!!

Btw check out the advertising to the right of my profile page on eHarmony!! Subtle as a half-brick through the window eh!! I wonder if the straight men get the same advertising!!!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, us straight men get ads for rogaine/propecia. Can't wait until the erectile dysfunction ones start popping up.

Grass isn't always greener...

S.

Kitty said...

ah....I think it's great you and Emma are doing this at the same time!

and Ooh, I'm curious to see how your date goes!! Seriously, it's all about chemistry and timing, and all it takes is meeting that one person. Though I'd agree with you on the height differential. That would be a little awkward.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hey Anon,

Thanks for stopping by. V interesting re: the difference in ads, although I cannot say I am surprised. I would think men would run a mile if engagement rings started popping up on their profile.

Hi Kitty,
Yes it is good to have a female partner in crime to compare notes with, but I do worry that she is jumping in too soon. Anyway I shall keep you posted re: Sunday.

Amel said...

Hope you enjoy having coffee with the guy. :-D And about the ad...woahhhh..."so subtle"...

Anonymous said...

Best of luck on Match.com!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Thanks Match :-)