Wednesday 4 January 2012

I Know I Shouldn't Say This....

....Given the evils of global warming and all, but I am thrilled by the forecast for Saturday. It's looking like a surfing day. Whoo hoo!!!!

Today was FREEZING and the thought of being in the water....brrrrrr. You can't tell from the above image, but this morning the temperature was 12F, but with the wind chill it felt like 5F (-15C). After experiencing that it's hard to believe that it's going to warm up sufficiently, but the surf school posted on Facebook today that they plan to run a 90minute class on Saturday, so fingers crossed the weather holds. If it does I shall be popping out to Queens first thing to enjoy some time in the water. The following weekend I start my 8 week 'surf camp' with SurfSET fitness at Chelsea Piers. I really didn't expect to be out in the ocean at all during the first 3 months of the year so I booked myself some indoor surf training on the Rip Surfer X machine to build my paddle endurance, plus it seems like something different - although I've seen it maligned by a few surfers on their blogs, all male and none of whom seem to have actually tried it - but getting more water time on top of that is a bonus. My resolution to surf more in 2012 is going well so far.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I honestly didn't know you could surf in New York... unless you moved to California and didn't tell anybody?

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Ruth, I didn't either until last year, but it's much more popular than I ever realised. It's amazing to surf in New York too. I enjoy surfing in 50F weather in January when there are few crowds much more than in sunny July. It's so amazing, I really love it.