Tuesday 24 August 2010

Getting Shit Done!!

I realized today that my insurance policy for my Peru trip was in Melissa's name even though my credit card had been charged. Duh!!! After checking in with Melissa to make sure her insurance policy wasn't in my name - it wasn't - I called the Canadian based tour company to rectify the situation and have them email me an updated policy and let's just say that if the tour guide on our trip is as fake cheery as Greg who I just spoke to on the phone I will not be held responsible for my actions.

I felt like such a be-atch, but I'm incredibly busy just now, I'm already working 12+hours days, I'm scrambling to get things done before I leave. Is it asking too much to have a polite, efficient and professional conversation about my policy and get it sorted? Admittedly it didn't take *too* long, however I did have to endure Greg whooping it up for 15minutes.


"Alrighty, so what's your name?" he said with such fake enthusiasm, that if I wasn't so cynical I'd think I was the best conversation to happen to him all day.


I spelled out my last name assuming he was looking it up on the computer

"Is that your first name or your last name?"


"My last name."

"Oh I meant your first name, but I like the way you go right to your last name. What's your first name?"


I gave him my first name

"So, are you from the UK or North America?"

"I'm in the US"


"The good ol' US of A huh? I've been there once it was just okay"

Just okay? Charming. Good for you Greg!!

"So you're leaving for Peru in a few days?"


"That's right."


"You must be really excited about your trip right?"

Um...I will be once I know that my insurance coverage is in place.


"Greg do you need my insurance policy number?" I asked.

"Oh yes, that would be useful."

GET ON WITH IT GREG!!!!!

Seriously I felt like saying "Listen Greg, I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm extremely busy at work here in New York just now and the last thing I needed was to take time out of my day to call you about rectifying a mistake you guys made with my insurance policy, but that's the situation, I accept that, so now I just want to spend 5minutes getting that sorted out so that I can get on with my day. I'm sure you're a lovely guy, but quite honestly I just don't care how your day is going just like you don't really care about how my day is going, so let's drop the pretense that we are buddies. If you could just take my details, revise my policy and email a copy back to me that would be fantastic. Do you think you could do that for me Greg?"

I am such a New Yorker!!

2 comments:

Kitty said...

lol. I know the feeling. We NYers don't have time for the chit chat most of the time!

I usually presume the other person has an awful job, which makes the situation better.

Hope it all gets sorted out, Fish. When are you off?

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Kitty,

That's true I don't have much time for chit chat at the best of times, never mind when I am scrambling to get things done before vacation in a few days.

Hope you are having a great time in Japan Kitty.