Sunday 14 August 2011

Putting a bit more effort in

So yesterday I decided that I needed to make some changes to my online dating profile to see if that would I had better luck in attracting normal blokes, so I spent some time tweaking my profile on Match and OkCupid.

I have to say Match has not been great for me at all so far and I ended up cancelling my membership after the only men that contacted me were all really far away: Idaho, North Carolina, Ontario, Toronto, Switzerland. Yup, Switzerland...not even on the same CONTINENT!! What is wrong with these men? The Swiss guy even went so far as to email me twice to try and set up a meeting when he visited NY for a week. Um....!!! I never responded. Before you ask I did double check my profile to make sure there was no weird zip code setting throwing everything off and no, it's all fine, there just seems to be an inordinate amount of men interested in the idea of a long distance relationship I suppose. Anyway I've cancelled my membership with Match for now, but I still have a few weeks to go so I thought I'd make an effort.

Oh and btw Match, don't think it's gone unnoticed that the matches I am receiving after cancelling my subscription and saying no thank you to renewing at 50% off have exponentially increased in their attractiveness!!! Either Match was holding out on me before OR - as Orla suspects - these are fake profiles and these attractive men that are supposedly a good match for me don't actually exist!!

Gasp!!

Between you and me I wouldn't put it past them.

Megan had decided to invite a few of the girls over for dinner at her place last night - amazing ricotta crostini with honey and toasted hazlenuts. Mmmm - so I got ready a bit earlier than I needed to and before I left I fiddled about with the auto-timer on my camera and took some snaps of myself in my strappy sundress - slightly more flesh on show than my other photos, but nooooo nothing slutty. For goodness sake, what kind of woman do you take me for!!! - while my hair and make up had yet to be messed up by the elements and uploaded the best of those photos along with another one of me on the Inca Trail - looking active, but not too smelly I hope - to both Match and OkCupid and then left for dinner where I had a fabulous time talking crap for hours on end with the girls and selflessly helping Megan rid herself of some of the many bottles of wine she's accumulated over the years before she moves out of the apartment she's currently still sharing with her ex-fiance, because she doesn't want to have to pack tons of wine up and pay to move it.

By the way can you IMAGINE that particular living situation, sharing a one bedroom apartment with your ex-fiance? They rarely see each other because their schedules are opposite, but still, it can't be a barrel of laughs eh?

Anyway when I checked this morning I was pleased to see that I'd received two messages from prospects via OkCupid **AND** had been made a FAVOURITE by another OKC member plus an actual real live New York residing member of Match.com - a very very cute one too - had also sent me a message.

Yay!! My plan was working!!

I mean, so what that one of the OKCupid messages was from a 23 year old - seriously 23!! I'd exchanged a couple of emails with him too before I realized too. He wasn't the most verbose individual so I'd decided to read his profile for some background information and well I was a bit shocked to say the least when I saw his age. In my defense he doesn't look that young in his photo; or that the man who favourited me had the profile name 'Nudesunlover'** - no prizes for guessing what he likes to do on weekends, although I can't help but wince at the thought of him getting sunburn on his sensitive bits. Yikes!! Although nice for him that he doesn't have a farmer's tan I suppose if you're into that type of thing; or that the cute man from Match ended up asking me - after 2 somewhat saucy emails I'll admit, although he started it - if I'd meet him for sex. I mean it's a start right? A step in the right direction? Ha ha, ohhh you have to laugh!!

**Not his actual profile name of course, but close enough for you to get an accurate picture of his interests.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

ha....23! my goodness! The possibilities! :-)

Well, I have to wonder whether some men are distracted in the summer months? Maybe a better time would be when it's cold and dark?

I really don't know. I wish there were an instruction book on those creatures. Humph.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Kitty,

At least it all makes for good blogging fodder ;-)

Fish