Tuesday 9 August 2011

Blimey!! UK Riots and OKCupid Date!!

I am just listening to/half watching the live BBC coverage of the riots in the UK. Mental!! I can't quite get my head around it, especially when they break from the doom and gloom of the day and a cheery Scotsman comes on and chats about the weather. Surreal, although the cockles of my heart were warmed when I saw people naming and shaming the culprits on Twitter (#nameandshame) and organising clean ups (#riotcleanup)!!

Ugh, what a day!!


On a personal positive at least I have vacation to look forward to as I am heading out west again in a mere 3 weeks - San Diego this time. I'm meeting my parents there for a week at the beach and more surfing lessons!! I am trying to eat v v healthy so that I feel good in my swimsuit, but I feel as if I am fighting a losing battle at the moment as woman's week is due on Friday - nice timing for my next surf lesson this weekend in the Far Rockaways #not!!!! - and I have the appetite of a hippopotamus!! I woke up in the middle of the night last night with my heart pounding only to be scared to death by a dark shape at the foot of my bed. I think I may have been having traumatic dreams having read about an instance during the Ealing riots - an area of London where I lived for 5 or 6 years - of a woman who woke up to find two men in her bedroom. Yikes!! Fortunately the dark shape looming over the foot of my bed turned out to be my vacuum cleaner. Phew!! Thank heavens it was nothing, but it still took a glass of milk - skim of course - and the last 5 of the Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups (333.33 calories) to calm me down. Ooops!!

So I had my second OK Cupid date with C____ on Saturday night. I really didn't want to go, but then I am never inclined to go on any internet dates, so I forced myself to meet him, because you never know right?


Hmmmmm!!!


This time was perhaps one of those occasions when I really should have listened to that little voice in my head that said 'call it off, stay home, watch a movie, get some ice cream,' but instead I listened to the other voice that said "Oh for God's sake just go, it would be rude to call it off now and you never know, it might be fun, you might really like him!!"


I took a chance anyway and we met at Veselka's in the East Village, where we split a plate of pierogis and he ordered a burger and I had mushroom barley soup - I really wasn't so hungry. It was fine anyway, but I was pretty tired after the fairy elephant upstairs woke me up by stomping around between the hours of 2am and 5am - what was she DOING that involved her walking back and forth so frequently at such an hour? - but I made an effort to engage in conversation and ask him about himself, but he just didn't have a lot to say that held my interest and I just knew a 3rd date wasn't on the cards, especially when I asked him if he'd travelled much.


C___: Not really
Fish: Do you like to travel?
C___: Um, yes, I guess so

Fish: Where would you like to visit that you haven't been yet?


Wait for it....


…I am amazed I kept a straight face at his response. I mean seriously if you were someone who hadn’t travelled much in your life and a romantic prospect asked you where you would most like to go, essentially giving you the world to choose from, what are the chances you would respond as my date did and say.......


C___: Detroit
Fish: Ohhhh...um...interesting!!

Detroit!!

Really???

Now nothing against Detroit, I am sure it has some lovely bits, but that’s his first choice, out of everywhere in the entire WORLD???? The world!!!

I’ll tell you this for nothing, he won’t be getting any mini-break action with me if that’s his idea of an ideal destination.


I also did not appreciate the way he repeatedly dipped the fork he'd eaten from directly into the wide necked ketchup bottle to ladle ketchup onto his burger and then used the very same fork to cut the pierogis we were sharing - we ordered one of each flavour and were halving them - leaving the edges coated. Ugh!! Stomach churning!!

I am never ever eating ketchup in a restaurant again. EVER!!

4 comments:

Kitty said...

haha. ick.
You meet all sorts on those dates. I think I'd have the same automatic gag response as you had.

You're good to plan these trips, Fish. It takes such energy and forethought that I just don't have!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Kitty,

I actually really enjoy all the travel planning - more so than my actual job sometimes. Perhaps I should be a travel concierge ;-)

Fish

Amel said...

Euwwww...now I'm starting to get worried about ketchup bottles...yikes...

I don't know yet the full news about the riots in UK 'coz I haven't really browsed about it, but it was shocking when I heard about it 'coz another blogger friends lives there. Ugh...

On a happier note, I also have 3 weeks left to work before we're leaving to Indo. YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! My long-awaited summer vacation! (though autumn's come here HA HA HA...)

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Hi Amel,

Seriously I am not eating ketchup in restaurants ever again!!

As for the riots, things seem calmer this evening so fingers crossed.

Enjoy your trip to Indonesia. My friend Megan just came back from surf camp in Bali and absolutely loved it. I don't think she wanted to come back to New York :-)